If you are an ardent Apple Computer system user, then you might have heard about DMG files and the installation possibilities it holds onto in the first place.
Alternatively, if you are using a Windows 7 operating system installed computer, and found a DMG type of file present within the Windows system, then you can still open DMG file to check what it holds onto.
Before starting with the actual process to open and view the DMG file in Windows 7 installed computer, you need to understand about the DMG file type. The DMG files are disk image files that can be used to install software programs to Mac OS X running iMac or MacBook. The DMG files have the exact options an ISO file does in Windows.
How to open DMG files on Windows?
The DMG file has every other type of installation file that is needed to install a software program into Mac OS running computers. As you are at the moment using a Windows 7 running PC, you cannot make use of the DMG file to install the software it holds onto; instead, you can glance through its contents in three different ways. The following are the three different ways to open DMG files and view its content in Windows 7, 8 and 10 running computer systems.
- 7-ZIP DMG file opener for Windows 7 users
7-ZIP is a freeware type of software that can be downloaded for free using an internet-connected Windows 7 running computer system. 7-ZIP, being a popular extractor type of software is widely used to extract compressed files like CAB, ZIP, RAR, ISO, and WIM. This particular software helps in extracting the DMG file content to a particular file folder.
- Download 7-ZIP software installation file from a reliable source to your computer.
- Install it by following the instructions that are listed on the installation windows.
- Once the installation process has completed, you need to navigate through the drive and file folder that has the DMG file saved in it.
- Make a right-click upon the DMG file that has been saved as file extension DMG in windows 7 running PC or laptop and then navigate through the 7-Zip context menu to load a sub-menu.
- In the sub-menu, you can either select ‘Extract files’, ‘Extract Here’ or ‘Extract to’ based upon your extraction preferences.
- By selecting ‘Extract Here’, the files present in the DMG file shall get extracted in the exact folder location from which it has been loaded in the first place.
- By selecting ‘Extract To’ option, you can choose the folder to save the contents from the DMG file, either to the local drive or to a connected pen drive.
The extraction speed and time highly depends upon the overall file size of the DMG file and the existing RAM speed of your PC as well. Once the extraction process gets finished, you can now open the DMG files content without looking for a MacBook or iMac to access the same. However, if you need quick software to open the DLL file then you can use the visual studio tool in windows while you can open the JSON file in windows using notepad, Wordpad, word, etc.
As this particular software program is a freeware, you can only view DMG files that are less than 4GB in terms of size. Also, you can select and extract only 5 DMG files in one-click.
- Opening DMG files using DMG Extractor
DMG Extractor is a popular extractor tool that can help in opening and reading through .dmg files an easy process. The entire interface of this particular extractor tool is user-friendly, which makes it possible to swiftly open DMG files in Windows 7 operating system installed computer. Follow the below-mentioned stepwise guide as it is to open dmg file in Windows 7 system.
- Download DMG extractor software installation program file from a reliable online source
- Make use of your internet, search for the DMG extractor version that can run smoothly on your Windows system by reading through the ‘System Requirements’ section
- Once you have found the exact source, download the installation file and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the program at ease
- Locate the shortcut of DMG Extractor application from the Desktop and run it with administration rights
- This can be done by right-clicking on the application and selecting ‘Run as Administrator’ from the loaded context menu
- Once the main screen of the application gets loaded up, navigate to the ‘Open’ button that can be found on the top menu bar to open DMG file in one-click.
- Now, you need to browse through the drive that has the DMG file in it and Open it as well
Once the DMG file has been loaded, the installation files and other contents present it shall get displayed within the DMG Extractor window.
- Extracting the DMG file contents using DMG Extractor:
Once you have followed the steps to open DMG file as mentioned above, you can see the files listed one after another within the DMG Extractor window, Now, click upon the ‘Extractor’ button from the menu bar and then select ‘All files to’ to extract every other installation and other files types the DMG file holds onto.
As a free user, you can only view and extract DMG files that are lesser than 4GB in size. Become a premium user to open DMG file in any numbers; extract them all in one-click with no issues happening in the terms of file size.
- Open and view DMG files using Power ISO:
Power ISO is a powerful software tool that is commonly used to extract, burn, edit, convert or create disk image files for Windows installed computer systems. The main advantage of this particular software burning tool is that it can process any type of image files, namely, DMG, BIN, DAA, and ISO. You need to burn the DMG image file to an empty CD or DVD to open the DMG files and then go through the files present in it. Follow the steps as mentioned below to access file extension dmg in windows 7 and later released operating system versions.
- Download and install Power ISO image burning software from a trustworthy reliable source
- Make it a point to read through the ‘System Requirements’ section and download the exact version that can run smoothly on your Windows 7 installed system
- Once you have download and installed Power ISO software, open it up and insert an empty CD or DVD into the disk drive that has reading and writing capacities available in-default
- Click upon the ‘Burn’ option from the icon menu bar.
- Now, select the ‘Browse’ button to load up the DMG files into the Power ISO window.
- Select the required burning speed and then ensure the drive has an empty CD or DVD that has the much-needed space to safely burn and write the DMG files in it
- After ensuring this, click upon the ‘Burn’ button
Once the DMG file has been burnt to the empty disk, you need to remove it from the CD drive and reinsert it. Now, you can open DMG files and get to know the type of files and software program that it entails to.